Thursday, January 7, 2010

First Week in PC -

I arrived here in Park City on Sunday night, and I am staying at the home of some friends until I find a place to live. If you know anyone in Park City who needs a roommate, please put me in touch.
So I have been sleping very well - we're at a little higher altitude, and the climate is dry, as it's high desert here. That means I am exhusted at the end of the day as I acclimatize.

Monday I reported to Deer Valley (DV) for my first day of work. Monday was inside training - safety, learning about DV and its culture... and Tuesday was outside. Most interesting: climbing up into the engine house on Burns - a fixed-grip lift at the Snow Park lodge. I kept imagining I was at Hunt Hollow - thinking about that old blue chair they had.

I have been assigned to Carpenter - a high speed detachable at the base lodge (Snow Park). I suppose I would have liked to be up the mountain so that I'd encounter more experienced guests and would be able to access better skiing on my breaks, but the upside is that carpenter will be busy and I can park nearby. New employees who work up the mountain have to catch a 630 bus to their meetup because all of the parking is taken (lots more domestic employees this year).

So my first day on the job is tomorrow (Friday). My weekend is Wednesday and Thursday. I am using the time to search for an apartment and speak with other professionals here in Park City. I am seeking permanent, year-round employment here while I keep in contact with folks in DC. When something presents itself, I'll be ready to make an informed decision.

I had dinner at Julie Minahan's last night - with her husband Heinrich, her brother John, and John's girlfriend Elaine - who sings in a handful of bands here in town. I am seeking opportunities to gig out here - I can't afford to live on my hourly DV wage alone.

Please comment on my post, or send me an email and let me know that someone out there is reading this -

Off to get an apt - wish me luck!

3 comments: