Thursday, February 11, 2010

Mellow end to a good week

Had a pretty good week out here in UT -
Some things that stick out in no particular order:
I am going to get fit - I am feeling the last 6 weeks of not working out... my fitness was terrific in August / Sept - I peaked for Cyclocross season.... and I need to get back into that mode. Here in Park City, it's my understanding that you can get yourself invited on a mountain bike ride with someone just because you're a nice guy (gal). However, if you can't keep up in that ride, you will not get a call the next time. This means two things for me - I need to get back into shape, and I need to get into mountain biking form... I intend to build and maintain my network and relationships in this town - I can't put it at risk with weak mt biking....

I had my bike out on the rollers last night on the deck. I put a beer on the hot tub cover as my motivation. Then tonight I went for a short, mellow run.

I took some great turns today up at Deer Valley. We got a couple of inches early in the morning, and the snow was just terrific - I went from one side of the resort to the other, then worked back to Snow Park (the main base lodge) and called it a day.

I had a visit this week from a friend from DC - Stephanie - she was traveling for a conference and took in a spa weekend at the Canyons, so we had the opportunity to hang out and I showed her a little bit of main street. I think she has some gris-gris when it comes to travel - she made it back to DC between the snowstorms....

I skied in my alpine gear (regular downhill ski gear) today... the Telemarking is just not clicking for me. I am of a strong opinion that I should demo some other tele skis. My alpine boards cling to the hill so well - and even when I make alpine turns with the tele's on, the edges just don't engage. I saw a dude tellying last week just carving the you-know-what out of it, and I want to do some comparison of my own.

I did pick up some really cool (in an ironic way) old-school poles this week at a consignment shop. They're Scott brand, and they're at least 30 years old. I'll get a pic up....

Bobby (from whom I rent a room here in Park City) cleared out the garage so we can both park in there, and now I am ready for the snow to start falling again - we haven't had significant snow in a few weeks. 

Today after skiing (and before my run) I ran some errands. This week I have finally brought together the elements of my room that make it more like a home - it's the first time I have slept in a bed with sheets since 12/31 - I have been sleeping on floors, futons, couches and in my sleeping bag until a few nights ago. I picked up some little computer speakers for my mac / ipod and it's really nice to be sitting here in my nearly normal room with some tunes and the ability to unwind and reflect on my blog (never thought I'd have a blog btw).... Hence the mellow end to a good week. I am going to enlarge some photos for the walls.

I am working on my songlist for solo gigs. I am still working on getting some solo, mellow, apres-ski gigs in town.

I found out one of my coworkers, Mackenzie, really likes Martin Sexton - so we're going to plan a get together and have a Martin Party. She inquired with Martin's management about the possibility of booking him for her upcoming wedding reception - yeah. Too expensive.


OK - off to bed. This weekend is going to be crazy at work - the busiest weekend of the year....

No comments:

Post a Comment